cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Task-focused development
Date Sat, 10 Mar 2007 22:41:47 GMT
Joerg Heinicke napisaƂ(a):
> On 10.03.2007 17:53, Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
>

> Once upon the time ... we tried to use Bugzilla for project management
> and release planning (but it was not really successful). So I think
> there are no objections to use Jira for task-focused development ...

I believe that we could try do so again and it would be successful
attempt. Why? Because I believe that most of Eclipse-lovers will become
Mylar-lovers and they will create tasks for their convenience. However,
let's wait a little bit before discussing this.

> ... if you report us how it works out :-) Actually I'm really interested
>  in it (not only for Cocoon but in general). I recently read the
> two-part article at [1] and [2]. The interesting it sounds the much I
> fear the "loss" of information or hiding of important stuff (forgotten
> commits?). What are your experiences?

:-)
First of all, Mylar is really not so intrusive. If you do not activate
some task your IDE will be behaving as before, no hiding stuff, no fancy
icons in your Java editor etc.
When you decide to use Mylar you will have to create the task and it's
essential moment IMHO. You have to create tasks appropriately sized. If
they were too small you would end up switching between them frequently
and slowly getting tired about it. If they are too big, many files and
changes would be involved in the task and Mylar adds no value then.
Little practice will shape your sense.

Then at the beginning you switch off hiding the package explorer and
open few file(s) which are going to be your start point. Now you turn on
Mylar's hiding and start exploring the code by the following the
references in your start point code. All newly opened files will appear
in the package explorer. While you explore/write a code Mylar observe
your actions and try adjust the information set (visible files, methods
etc.) to the task you are currently working on. And it does really good
job! Mylar remembers all the setting for each task separately and even
enables you to attach task context to the issue and let others quickly
look what you exactly working on.

Now to answer your concerns... If you touch or even look on any file
while working on the task it will appear in your task's context so there
is no way you will omit some changes while committing. It would be more
likely that there are too many files included in the context (e.g.
you've opened some file by accident), but this does not happen either.
Mylar is smart enough to forget files you do not touch for too long.
What is more, you can switch off hiding at any time you like, so you can
always make sure that all changes has been committed.

For me, first 2 hours were difficult because I felt really confused that
all this unrelated to my current work junk is gone. Now I cannot use
Eclipse without it... :-)

>> It's rather common practice to stop discussing in JIRA issue and move to
>> the mailing list. I would like to know if there exist some guidelines
>> when to discuss in JIRA and when on mailing list?
>
> There are no real guidelines and I don't think it is that important
> where to discuss it. Jira notification mails end on the mailing list
> anyway. One reason for switching to mailing list might just be the
> (missing) performance of Jira. Otherwise if a comment is related to an
> issue adding it to Jira is perfectly suited. If the need for a broader
> discussion arises using the mailing list might be better.

I see, thanks for explanation.

> Looking forward to your experiences with Mylar and your actual work :-)

I hope that quite long report will encourage you to make an attempt to
try Mylar.

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski