cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Reloading Classloader Plugin
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2007 08:27:49 GMT
Giacomo Pati wrote:

> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>> Giacomo Pati wrote:
>>
>>> How is the rcl-plugin related/overlapping with the deployer-plugin?
>>>
>>> I've put some work making the deployer-plugin usable for block
>>> development and now I'm asking
>>> whether that work is becoming obsolete and I should migrate ev.
>>> missing features into the rcl-plugin
>> I've started from scratch because the deployer-plugin contains some (a
>> lot of?) unused stuff and I want to clean up when we merge them.
>>
>> What features of the deployer-plugin do you use?
>
> applying xpatches
> the ability to configure a custom log4j.xml
> and probably others I cannot remember now.

and the optional use of the shielding classloader should complete the list.

                                - o -

The reloading classloader stuff becomes useful if you want to run a block, the
deployer if you want to create a web application. I propose that we start from
the reloading classloader stuff and merge the missing functionality from the
deployer modules into it.

The perfekt solution would even go one step further and abstract the deployer
from Maven so that somebody could write an Ant task. I'm not sure if I will have
time for this extra round.

As already said, I plan to have a first milestone release by the end of March,
provided that commons-jci will be propertly relased by then.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc