cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <>
Subject Re: New stuff for Cocoon
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2007 07:07:28 GMT
Alexander Klimetschek wrote:
> Hi folks,
> since we released the first (beta) version of our Cocoon-based open
> source teamwork software this week (,

> I'd like
> to offer the Cocoon blocks we wrote that could move into Cocoon itself.
> So we don't need to maintain them any longer ;-) No, just joking, but
> since we got a lot by using the Cocoon framework, we want to give
> something back! These blocks are:

(commenting without looking at the sources - I don't have the time to go deeper,

> - cocoon-extractor:
> extracts full-text content of different file types (currently word,
> excel, powerpoint, pdf, xml and plain text) using jakarta slide and
> others; it provides a Generator that gives full-text that can be used
> for eg. indexing binary files

sounds to be a useful new block

> - SVN source:
> a source that reads a local subversion repository and provides the
> content, supports revisions etc. (read-only)

how to you access SVN? Are you using a ASL-compatible base library?

> - JCR xml source:
> an advanced version of the jcr source that is already present in the
> cocoon-jcr-impl block; it maps xml content onto the jcr node tree
> structure, so when you push in xml content, it won't store it as binary
> stream, but rather as a nodes with subnodes and so on; this allows to
> run xpath queries on the xml document's content; the source also
> supports jcr versioning, each new write will create a new version

I'd say add it to the cocoon-jcr block but maybe one of the original authors of
the jcr block can give some comments.

> And various components:
> - RunningModeDependentPipeline: (Pipeline)
> to automatically use different pipelines depending on the running mode,
> eg. no caching in dev, full caching in prod, and optionally enabling
> profiling with a single system property (I know this is possible by
> putting two different xconf/spring bean files under dev/ or prod/, but
> this code is quite young in cocoon, so we don't have it available in our
> cocoon version)

hey, I was thinking about something similar just some time ago. I guess this
needs further discussions on this list.

> - MavenPomPropertiesModule: (Input Module)
> allows to read eg. the version numbers out of your block jars

I like it

> - ParamsToURIModule: (Input Module)
> a meta module that converts all attributes of another module into a
> correct uri query string (&a=b;c=d)

What's the rational behind this? Can you explain the usecase?

> - RedirectTransformer: (Transformer)
> transformer doing a redirect, good after a SourceWritingTransformer if
> you want to redirect to another page after a POST

Not sure about this, TBH it sounds hacky to me. Wouldn't it be better to put the
writing logic into a separate pipeline and call it from an action or from flow
and then do the redirect?

> Some of the things will only need a different package name, but others
> need a bit more changes to become separate and adhere to all conventions
> of a cocoon block.

Some words to the further procedure: Creating a new block in trunk requires a
vote, additions to existing blocks need discussions on the list which have
already started with this mail (discuss then commit). Keep up the good work and
go ahead!

Der frühe Vogel fängt den Wurm. Hier gelangen Sie zum neuen Yahoo! Mail:

View raw message