cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New stuff for Cocoon
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2007 07:07:28 GMT
Alexander Klimetschek wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> since we released the first (beta) version of our Cocoon-based open
> source teamwork software this week (http://www.mindquarry.com),

congratulations!

> I'd like
> to offer the Cocoon blocks we wrote that could move into Cocoon itself.
> So we don't need to maintain them any longer ;-) No, just joking, but
> since we got a lot by using the Cocoon framework, we want to give
> something back! These blocks are:

(commenting without looking at the sources - I don't have the time to go deeper,
sorry)

> - cocoon-extractor:
>
> extracts full-text content of different file types (currently word,
> excel, powerpoint, pdf, xml and plain text) using jakarta slide and
> others; it provides a Generator that gives full-text that can be used
> for eg. indexing binary files
>
> http://www.mindquarry.org/repos/mindquarry-search/trunk/cocoon-extractor/

sounds to be a useful new block

> - SVN source:
>
> a source that reads a local subversion repository and provides the
> content, supports revisions etc. (read-only)
>
> http://www.mindquarry.org/repos/mindquarry-workspace/trunk/mindquarry-dma-source/

how to you access SVN? Are you using a ASL-compatible base library?
(http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html)

> - JCR xml source:
>
> an advanced version of the jcr source that is already present in the
> cocoon-jcr-impl block; it maps xml content onto the jcr node tree
> structure, so when you push in xml content, it won't store it as binary
> stream, but rather as a nodes with subnodes and so on; this allows to
> run xpath queries on the xml document's content; the source also
> supports jcr versioning, each new write will create a new version
>
> http://www.mindquarry.org/repos/mindquarry-jcr/trunk/mindquarry-jcr-source/

I'd say add it to the cocoon-jcr block but maybe one of the original authors of
the jcr block can give some comments.

> And various components:
>
> - RunningModeDependentPipeline: (Pipeline)
>
> to automatically use different pipelines depending on the running mode,
> eg. no caching in dev, full caching in prod, and optionally enabling
> profiling with a single system property (I know this is possible by
> putting two different xconf/spring bean files under dev/ or prod/, but
> this code is quite young in cocoon, so we don't have it available in our
> cocoon version)
>
> http://www.mindquarry.org/repos/mindquarry-webapp/trunk/mindquarry-webapp-resources/src/main/java/com/mindquarry/webapp/pipelines/RunningModeDependentPipeline.java

hey, I was thinking about something similar just some time ago. I guess this
needs further discussions on this list.

> - MavenPomPropertiesModule: (Input Module)
>
> allows to read eg. the version numbers out of your block jars
>
> http://www.mindquarry.org/repos/mindquarry-webapp/trunk/mindquarry-webapp-resources/src/main/java/com/mindquarry/webapp/modules/MavenPomPropertiesModule.java

I like it

> - ParamsToURIModule: (Input Module)
>
> a meta module that converts all attributes of another module into a
> correct uri query string (&a=b;c=d)
>
> http://www.mindquarry.org/repos/mindquarry-webapp/trunk/mindquarry-webapp-resources/src/main/java/com/mindquarry/webapp/modules/ParamsToURIModule.java

What's the rational behind this? Can you explain the usecase?

> - RedirectTransformer: (Transformer)
>
> transformer doing a redirect, good after a SourceWritingTransformer if
> you want to redirect to another page after a POST
>
> http://www.mindquarry.org/repos/mindquarry-webapp/trunk/mindquarry-webapp-resources/src/main/java/com/mindquarry/webapp/transforming/RedirectTransformer.java

Not sure about this, TBH it sounds hacky to me. Wouldn't it be better to put the
writing logic into a separate pipeline and call it from an action or from flow
and then do the redirect?

> Some of the things will only need a different package name, but others
> need a bit more changes to become separate and adhere to all conventions
> of a cocoon block.

Some words to the further procedure: Creating a new block in trunk requires a
vote, additions to existing blocks need discussions on the list which have
already started with this mail (discuss then commit). Keep up the good work and
go ahead!

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc