cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Neeme Praks <ne...@apache.org>
Subject Re: OSGi blocks development?
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2007 12:10:22 GMT

Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:

> Although there are many people involved in Cocoon we are just a few who
> work on the core and basic infrastructure. And we where spreading
> ourselves to thin in the project by both working on moving to Spring,
> moving to Maven and using OSGi at the same time. So we decided to focus
> on Spring, Maven and getting a release of 2.2 before continuing the work
> on moving to OSGi.
>
> Also it was a quite large work to integrate Spring and OSGi. And when we
> saw that a project doing that started within the Spring community with
> some OSGi heavyweights involved, it seemed like a better idea to stop
> our own development in that area and either join them or being lazy and
> wait for them to deliver something ;)
>
> It would be much simpler to move Cocoon to OSGi today as we have
> simplified the core considerably and there is much more support for
> using OSGi in enterprise software projects now.

Fair enough, makes sense. :-)

> So what is your interest in it? Would you like to use a OSGi based
> Cocoon or do you feel that it would be fun working on creating it :)

My main interest is in using it :-)
And I know too little of Cocoon 2.2 to help you in the process - I would
dig deeper but unfortunately I don't have time for this right now. I
need it for my day job and I need something that works now :-|

My requirements:
  * component based development with packaging (JAR up components) -
here I mainly mean UI components or "web application features"
  * easy i18n and l10n
  * fairly easy skinnability, output customization for different clients
(application logic stays the same but design and even links can change)
  * support for rich clients (HTML+AJAX) and "thin clients" (WML and
XHTML Basic)
  * template and java logic separation

So far I've looked at:
  * Cocoon blocks with OSGi - looks promising, but will arrive too late
for me
  * Old-style cocoon blocks? - haven't looked in there yet.
  * JSF (Shale, Seam, etc) - looks interesting, but seems to be too
"heavy" and complex.
  * Wicket and Pax Wicket for OSGi support - I need to look deeper in
this, looks most promising right now
  * RIFE - lots of interesting ideas, but they try to reinvent too many
things, IMO. And I don't like their static service access style.
  * Spring MVC with Web Flow - my impression is that it is not easy to
do COP with it.

Maybe you have a pointer to a good Cocoon 2.2 introduction (especially
the blocks support and how does Spring help you with all this)?
Or just checkout from SVN and build the docs?

Last time I checked Cocoon sources was in 2.0.x series and then it was
just too much to wrap my head around. As I understand, things have
gotten a lot modular around here with blocks, but I'm still a bit wary
to look into Cocoon SVN repo. :-P

Rgds,
Neeme