cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Releasing from trunk
Date Fri, 09 Feb 2007 16:41:50 GMT

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007, Jorg Heymans wrote:

> Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 20:03:46 +0100
> From: Jorg Heymans <jheymans@apache.org>
> To: dev@cocoon.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Releasing from trunk
>
> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>
>> >  Continuum was stopped because I started to flatten the POM hierarchy in
>> >  trunk. This will hopefully save me a lot of time during the release
>> >  process.
>>
>>  Do I understand it correctly - it should be turned off to simplify release
>>  process? Sounds Ok to me if that's the case.
>
> Continuum is a nice-to-have but by no means a requirement for any release of
> cocoon. The general idea, as i'm sure i don't have to explain, is only to
> have something flag when someone checks in code that breaks the build.
>

> -----o0o-----
>
> At the time, Continuum seemed like an obvious choice for CI, mainly because
> it was built by the maven developers and promised/claimed good integration
> with m2. However now that we've learned the tricks and quirks of building an
> m2 project i can honestly not say anymore if Continuum is the best tool for
> the job ATM.
>
> The problem with Continuum is that it doesn't build your project as a whole
> anymore, but rather the modules in relative isolation. The fact that it
> doesn't pick up pom changes and barfs when you do module refactoring (move,
> adding, removing, changing name etc) makes it more of a nuisance than
> anything else. A CI system is no good if you have to take care of it each
> time you change the structure of your system.
>
> I've heard good things about Hudson [1], which has a more traditional
> approach in that it does a build from the top level (eg mvn clean install
> from the root) each time. This is more time and resource consuming but ATM
> more accurate for us. However its native m2 support is still in its infancy
> [2].

It's the default of Continuum to build a modularized M2 project in
isolation (see build command in the Continuum Config Page). We build our
modularized M2 project as a hole and do not have the problem you
mentioned above. It is just a matter how you define your project in
Continuum.

Ciao

- --
Giacomo Pati