cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Releasing from trunk
Date Fri, 09 Feb 2007 15:04:27 GMT

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 11:21:32 +0100
> From: Carsten Ziegeler <cziegeler@apache.org>
> To: dev@cocoon.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Releasing from trunk
>
> Andrew Savory wrote:
>> Hi,
>

>> Not wishing to spread FUD and rain on the parade, but ... I think 2.2
>> is *massively* less tested than 2.1.x. The main reason 2.1.x goes out
>> with not much testing is because it's been used in production by a
>> very large number of people. How many are actually using 2.2 in
>> production right now? Carsten, Daniel, Giacomo, Reinhard ... I guess
>> at most < 10 sites?
>>
>> I'd love to see 2.2 out the door and more people using it, but I'd
>> also hate to see people's first experience of 2.2 be a buggy one.
>>
>> Given that we're still seeing changes enough to kill Cruisecontrol,
>> I'd suggest an 'M' is more suitable than an 'RC'.
>>
>> And yes, I'm putting my money where my mouth is and trying to use 2.2
>> to build a site ;-)
>>
> Great :)
>
> We need to get a 2.2 out; imho it is more important to have something
> out after so many years than having a 115% bug free version.
> In addition, there is no guarantee that releasing a milestone will bring
> us more users testing, more documentation etc. And I personally doubt
> that people will start trying a milestone release.

I absolutely support Carsten here. Addmittedly we only have a few core
devs that use 2.2 for their daily work and business. But tell me,
Andrew, who else is using/testing 2.2 in real world environments, you?
We more or less have still the same test cases as with 2.1.

> And what will be the exit criteria? When do we have enough confidence
> (if it is really missing today) that we are stable enough for switching
> from milestone to rc? We only have indicators and feelings. I think that
> the current code base is stable and the work we are doing with is a
> proof for this (for me).

Some do have confidence in 2.2 because it's being used by them for real
world projects!

> On the other hand, a RC does not mean bug free - it means stable from
> the api and implementation pov. If we would be sure that it's bug free
> we could release a final right way.
> Yes, we had several changes in the last days/weeks, but doing a RC gives
> ourselves the responsibility to not change these things until we have a
> final version out (or create a branch).
>
> So, in short: a RC is an indication to *everyone* that this is the a
> stable version from the api pov and that we think (or hope if you like)
> that this version is stable as well. It's more likely that people will
> try out an RC than a milestone. So if we get feedback back at all, this
> will happen for an RC but never for a milestone.

+1

Ciao and thanks

- --
Giacomo Pati