cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Lundquist <lundquist.m...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [graphics] New version of masthead
Date Tue, 06 Feb 2007 19:29:07 GMT

On Feb 6, 2007, at 8:22 AM, hepabolu wrote:

> I agree that asking for more opinions will only give you more
> _different_ opinions. I'd say the discussion about the new website
> design is a "privilege" of the committers.

Well maybe I can get a special dispensation, because IIRC this masthead
revision was at my instigation... :-)

I think it looks pretty good.  Notes:

1) This latest version of the layout is robust w.r.t. window resizes
(an improvement on the first one where the green boxes were floated).
The new page does pretty well with the "text scale-up test"... no
blowouts except in the green box content (at least, in Safari and
Mozilla where I've tested).  Don't know if you want to fix that or
not...?

2) Would that "page corner fold" graphic be a link to more info?  Seems
like that's usually what it means...

3) W.r.t. the masthead itself... I meant to comment on this before, but
never got to it until now so I understand if it's too late to do
anything about it.  Anyway, seeing it now in the context of a full web
page strengthens my feeling about this design that the color palette is
a little bit bland and boring.  How about this... Thien, if you were to
just take 3-4 of the "blocks" near the bottom-right corner of the
"block field" — where that one block is sort of breaking away from the
rest — and give them new colors outside of the blue shade scale used
for the other blocks (I'm thinking purple, orange, bright green?)
— that would break up the "mum's kitchen tile" effect and liven up the
color scheme.  How hard would that be to try?  Just a suggestion from
one of the sheep farmers :-)

cheers,
—ml—