cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New Features for the spring configurator
Date Mon, 26 Feb 2007 12:41:45 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>>> Hmm, yes and no :) Our xslt transformer implementation uses an xslt
>>> processor. So we can define a "static" xalan xslt processor together
>>> with a "static" xalan xslt transformer.
>> And this works because when the processor bean is created by Spring there is no
>> need to have Xalan on the classpath. Right?
>>
> Hmm, no :) If Xalan would not be on the classpath I guess the xslt
> processor would fail. But as Xalan is always included in the jdk, it's
> always available (of course this might be different with different jdks).
> So, if we provide a "static" xalan xslt processor/xslt transformer
> combo, Xalan has to be on the classpath. However, we could implement
> these beans in a way that they don't fail during
> initialization/configuration if Xalan is not available. They would fail
> when they're used. But I'm in favour of fail early here.

I was mislead by the Saxon configuration which is already part of
cocoon-pipeline-components. I overlooked that it is commented out.

And, agreed to "fail early" here.

>>> And we can define a "dynamic" xslt processor (configured through
>>> properties) with an xslt transformer always using this "dynamic" xslt
>>> processor.
>> If it was a Spring bean we could even use the PropertyOverrideConfigurer instead

>> of introducing a new property.
>>
>> Would it be difficult to convert the TraxProcessor into a Spring bean? As it
>> hasn't been done yet I guess that there is this or that difficulty involved,
>> isn't it.
> The TraxProcessor uses the source resolver to resolve included/imported
> stuff and to
> handle xslt changes checks. We could convert the processor to a spring
> bean and simply
> referene the source resolver. It shouldn't be that hard.
> I think I'll have a look at this.

Thanks Carsten. My next item on my Cocoon 2.2 list is working on the
documentation again but then I think I will factor out Xalan into a separate
core module in order to avoid shipping a 2.7mb library with my applications that
would be unused.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc