cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: Improving ServletConnection to make it cache-aware
Date Sun, 11 Feb 2007 15:47:35 GMT
Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to discuss making ServletConnection cache-aware. Daniel
> suggested earlier to utilize standard HTTP protocol concepts. I
> totally agree with his opinion and would like to propose solution, but
> first let's discuss requirements.
>
> Requirements
> ============
>
> Requirements that ServletConnection must meet are really simple:
> 1. ServletConnection should provide data that can be used for
> constructing small validation object.
> 2. ServletConnection should expose functionality for checking if
> previous response is still valid taking as input validation object only.
> 3. We would like ServletConnection to make as few as possible round
> trips in every situation it encounters.
>
> To satisfy these requirements I propose to use concept of HTTP
> conditional gets[1], more precisely If-Modified-Since
> request-header[2] field. This way we have following cases:
> * ServletConnection does not have information needed to create
> If-Modified-Since header, but response includes Last-Modified header
> and full content. Validity object can be created.
> * ServletConnection does not have information needed to create
> If-Modified-Since header and response does not include Last-Modified
> header but includes full content. Validity object cannot be created.
> * ServletConnection does have information needed to create
> If-Modified-Since. Resource has not been modified so 302 status code
> is returned as response and response does not include full content.
> Thus ServletConnection can just tell that content is still valid and
> can be fetched from cache.
> * ServletConnection does have information needed to create
> If-Modified-Since. Resource has been modified so  200 status code is
> returned as response and response includes full content.
> ServletConnection tells that cached content is invalid and returns
> fresh content.
>
> Requirements are satisfied:
> 1. Last-Modified header can be used to construct validation object.
> 2. Taking date from validation object enables ServletConnection to
> formulate conditional GET and then response HTTP code settles if
> resource is still valid.
> 3. In every case we have only one round trip.
I agree with everything this far, it would also be nice to add ETag
handling to it. The idea is that the servlet-service-fw should work with
all kinds of servlets. And using Last-Modified and ETag headers are the
two main ways to handle caching for HTTP, so by supporting both we make
caching work for a larger share of the servlets. But the first priority
is of course to make it work with the SitemapServlet.

Using ETags together with If-None-Match is analogous to use
Last-Modified together with If-Modified-Since as you described above.
Some extra care is needed if the servlet called from the
ServletConnection returns both an ETag and a Last-Modified header.

> Implementation proposal
> =======================
>
> We should start from making pipelines more HTTP-compliant. This
> demands taking If-Modified-Since headers into account and returning
> appropriate status code when caching pipeline is processed. Behavior
> of non-caching pipelines should not change.
Agree. There is some getLastModified info on the cachedResponse object
in the AbstractCachingProcessingPipeline. It doesn't seem like it is
used for setting the Last-Modified header or used together with the
If-Modified-Since header however.

Also it might be that one could use the SourceValidity object (or maybe
a hash key based on it) as an ETag.
> Then we should implement setIfModifiedSince and getIfModifiedSince
> from java.net.URLConnection and construct requests according to value
> of that property. Also getResponseCode method should be implemented.
>
> All changes proposed above will enable us to implement source
> validation of ServletSource very easily.
>
> Comments? Thoughts?
Seem like the right direction to me.
> I can start implementing this as soon as we came with agreement on
> this. However, I would like to point out that I'll need some support
> to make changes in pipeline stuff. I've taken a look on code and not
> everything seems to be clear. Any volunteer on the board? ;-)
I can't say that the pipeline code is entirely clear to me either. Maybe
some of the original authors are still around?

> Last remark. I know that my English is quite poor and it could be that
> I do not express my thoughts clearly enough. I'm really working on it
> and you should not hesitate to ask when something is hard to understand.
Don't worry about that. I don't have any problem to understand what you
write. As soon as I had learned a little bit more about the HTTP
protocol it was perfectly clear ;)

/Daniel