cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Site structure
Date Fri, 09 Feb 2007 08:45:09 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>>> Regardless of download presence, at the very least there should be a
>>> 2.2 site set up and running.
>>>   http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/
>>
>> IMNSHO we don't have http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/ anymore.
>> Information about the core will be available at
>> http://cocoon.apache.org/core-modules/core/2.2/
>> (see http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/dev-docs/core-modules/core/2.2/ to
>> get an idea of the big picture)
>
> Actually... About the big picture, I'm not sure I'm getting it. The
> current site structure is:
>
>   /      - Cocoon Project (PMC) site
>   /1.x   - Cocoon 1.x site
>   /2.0   - ...
>   /2.1
>
> So from the POV of top level site, what is Cocoon 2.2 - where should it
> be in the list of "Projects". Is it "Cocoon NG" project?
>
> Does it mean there is no "root" path for Cocoon 2.2 docs - they are all
> scattered around PMC site? (I'm assuming here that /core-modules is not
> the only path element used in 2.2 docs).
>
> Where would (radically different, hypothetical) Cocoon 3.0 go if Cocoon
> 2.2 will take unversioned http://cocoon.apache.org/core-modules/ space?
> Keep in mind that copy of 2.2.Last docs will have to be accessible after
> 3.0 goes gold.

Starting with Cocoon 2.2 there is no such thing as one big assembly that we can
call "Cocoon 2.2". Yes, we have a core, that is based on Spring, a clever
convention-based configuration mechanism that allows adding functionallity and
offers pipeline processing, a sitemap and a collection of components
(generators, transformers, serializers, etc.).

Additionally we have things that can be used even without the above described
Cocoon. This is the servlet-service framework and the spring-configurator.

And, we have numberous blocks. It's difficult to say if they are 2.2 specific or
  could even be used in other environments, e.g. some next-generation Cocoon.
Today we can't foresee whether this Cocoon NG will be based on what we have
today or be a complete rewrite in Java, Ruby, C# or whatever and we don't know
if things that we have today, will work there.

                                      - o -

The question now is, how do we deal with this situation? After thinking more
about it yesterday, I came to the conclusion that the safest thing is following
Vadim's idea of using http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/ for our core and the blocks.

The downside that I can think of is that we may get following URLs

   http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/blocks/forms/1.0/
   http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/blocks/forms/1.1/
   http://cocoon.apache.org/3.0/blocks/forms/2.0/

I can live with that.

                                      - o -

I propose that I change the site structure to

   http://cocoon.apache.org/
      contains the "PMC site" and information about the most recent version of
      Cocoon and all subprojects

   http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/
      gives an overview of what Cocoon 2.2 is, that we have a core, many blocks
      and Maven 2 modules and that it is based on the two sub-projects
      configuration and servlet-service.

   http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/core-modules/
      contains information about all the things that we consider as core
      (pipeline processing, tree processor, most important sitemap/pipeline
       components)

   http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/blocks/
      contains the sites of all blocks

   http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/maven-plugins/
      contains information about all Maven 2 plugins that we provide

   http://cocoon.apache.org/servlet-service/
      contains information about the servlet-service sub project. Detailed
      information about our current implementation can be found at
      http://cocoon.apache.org/servlet-service/servlet-service-impl/1.0/

   http://cocoon.apache.org/configuration/
      contains information about the spring configurator and the general
      configurator API. Detailed information about the modules can be found
      at
      http://cocoon.apache.org/configuration/configuration-api/1.0/
      http://cocoon.apache.org/configuration/spring-configurator/1.0/

                                      - o -