cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Releasing from trunk
Date Wed, 07 Feb 2007 14:37:31 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

[...]

>> We need to get a 2.2 out; imho it is more important to have something
>> out after so many years than having a 115% bug free version.
>
> You are missing a point. It's not about a bug free version. It is about
> a version which seen more than like 4 hours of testing after major surgery.
>

>> In addition, there is no guarantee that releasing a milestone will bring
>> us more users testing, more documentation etc. And I personally doubt
>> that people will start trying a milestone release.
>
> Counterpoint:
>   http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=117024037825843
>
> They are not even trying, they are using it in production. It is a bit
> different for 2.2 though: there were no "real" downloadable release yet,

And maybe there will never be one. Don't know. There doesn't seem to be much
energy in this community to provide it - especially if you use Maven 2 you don't
need it.

> so there is really no easy way to download 2.2 and give it a spin on
> existing 2.1 project.

That's not true. What's missing is a guide how to do it. Technically it
shouldn't be too difficult.

> High entry point would hamper wider adoption of 2.2, not the label on
> its release.
>

>> And what will be the exit criteria? When do we have enough confidence
>> (if it is really missing today) that we are stable enough for switching
>> from milestone to rc? We only have indicators and feelings. I think that
>> the current code base is stable and the work we are doing with is a
>> proof for this (for me).
>
> When there is a consensus in the community that version is ready for RC
> or Final release. Given the responses so far, you already can see that
> to reach consensus we'd have to:
>
>   * have some more testing done (not 4h or 1d as now),
>   * have unit tests working,
>   * have CC working and not failing over,

Continuum was stopped because I started to flatten the POM hierarchy in trunk.
This will hopefully save me a lot of time during the release process.

[...]

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc