cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Releasing from trunk
Date Wed, 07 Feb 2007 07:53:02 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>> RC has a meaning of "release candidate", which to most people means "well tested

>> almost production quality code". Going through recent commits I noticed a lot of

>> refactoring, new code, untested code, and so on. This hardly qualifies as RC
>> material.
>>
>> IMHO, it should be labeled as M(n+1). -1 on RC since code is not went through
>> enough testing yet.
>>
> I really doubt that most of the code for final releases (or rc) is
> tested better than what we currently have in trunk. We do releases for
> 2.1.x without real tests for most of the code base. We rely on user
> experience/tests. The version from trunk is used by several of us
> already in production, several people have tried it out and it seems
> that most of the problems have been fixed. So I really think that this
> qualifies for an RC release.

Just wanted to write something similar. What we need now is more people who
use/try it and in this sense it doesn't help to ship more milestone releases.

I also think that it is an *important signal to us*: 2.2 is complete, the
contracts are stable and they can't be changed. The rest of the work is
polishing and writing documentation.

Yes guys, after almost 3 1/2 years we will ship something that isn't a patch
release!!!

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc