cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Fred Vos <f...@fredvos.org>
Subject Re: Releasing from trunk
Date Tue, 13 Feb 2007 17:03:59 GMT
On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 12:00:19PM +0100, Simone Gianni wrote:
> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> >
> > I've been working on the release for the past couple of hours. As it's
> > late here, I need some sleep. Unfortunatly this means that the trunk
> > is broken ATM. I will continue later today and fix all poms.
> >
> > Sorry for any inconveniences.
> >
> Just a quick question. Why don't we use version ranges instead of fixed
> version numbers in our internal pom dependencies?
>
> While using a version range on an external dependency can be dangerous
> 'cause we are not sure they will respect versioning rules, we could use
> them for internal dependencies and save a lot of work when the version
> of a single component changes and avoid having to cleanup the
> repository, rebuild everything, change the version in the pom, re-clean
> the repository and so on. Also because when we will have "1.0.0" version
> of a block published on public repository it will be a real pain to
> debug which components are still pointing to instead than to the new
> 1.0.1 version.

AFAIK version requirements like '1.0.0' are so-called soft requirements, a
recommendation. A hard requirement looks like '[1.0.0]'. See this page for
more info:
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Dependency+Mediation+and+Conflict+Resolution

A soft version requirement of '1.0' will use 1.0.1 if available I think.

Fred