cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Klimetschek <alexander.klimetsc...@mindquarry.com>
Subject Re: Hardcoded artifact versions (was Re: Multiple local snapshots in Maven)
Date Thu, 25 Jan 2007 19:12:28 GMT
Mark Lundquist schrieb:
> <dependencyMangement> of course does not help me, because the only
> things you can set in an ad hoc local profile are repository locations
> and properties.  Everything else was deemed too dangerous [1] by the
> Maven developers, because it militates against build reproducibility
> (they call it "portability").  IMHO, that was a bad decision and the
> wrong solution to the reproducibility problem!

Full ACK. When I read about what you can put in a profile and what not,
I was thinking the same thing. They should have simply allowed it, but
with a big warning sign in the documentation to not use it the wrong way...

> How can I have multiple local builds of the same artifact coexisting on
> my machine, without modifying any Subversion-controlled resources (e.g.
> poms)?  That's the question.  I'm in need of some brilliant ideas here,
> does somebody have any?

What's with the properties idea you suggested? Put properties for all
child-pom-versions in the root pom and overwrite them in your profile.

Alex

--
Alexander Klimetschek
http://www.mindquarry.com