cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Lundquist ...@wrinkledog.com>
Subject What is the deal with "pipelines" :-) (was Re: What is the deal with "blocks")
Date Wed, 03 Jan 2007 21:29:51 GMT

On Jan 3, 2007, at 9:29 AM, Alexander Klimetschek wrote:

> BTW: In sitemaps you have multiple usage of the term "pipeline": there
> is the element <pipeline> which typically contains multiple matcher
> with their own pipeline - so you have pipelines there. And inside of
> act statements you have "internal" pipelines where at the same time
> you can declare a <pipeline> as internal-only="true"... All a bit
> confusing to me ;-)

Yes... informally we use the term "pipeline" all the time to mean
"matcher or selector", which is different from the formal meaning of
the sitemap <pipeline> (which is more like a network of pipes than a
single pipe).  I've never been able come up with a satisfying
unambiguous nomenclature.

I think at one point I was also considering trying to introduce the
term "subpipeline" in some documentation that I haven't yet got around
to writing.  I think I probably would have used that to to mean any
sequence of components, where "pipeline" would have continued to mean a
full pipeline that originates with generation and terminates with
serialization.

If my proposed new matching language for the sitemap catches on, then
there will be no more <select>, so we could just start using the term
"matchers" for some of the things we today refer to colloquially as
"pipelines".

The language "internal pipeline" for <act> is probably a poor choice of
wording, "subpipeline" is probably better.  BTW these are no different
than the subpipelines (to use my new term) inside a nested matcher or
selector (or resource).

stuff to think about... :-)
—ml—