cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Hardcoded artifact versions (was Re: Multiple local snapshots in Maven)
Date Fri, 26 Jan 2007 09:41:00 GMT
Jorg Heymans wrote:

> Maven2 is not bug-free by any means, and some of its advertised ways of
> how it "should" work (eg dependencyManagement) simply don't. For
> example, my experience with version properties in the root pom is that
> the variable interpolation on artifact deployment time is buggy.

not only deployment of artifacts seems to be still buggy, also the calculation
of transitive dependencies versions doesn't work always as expected. Just
recently I've had problems to build the docs at the zone (got the infamous
version "2.5.1" of an artifact can't be found) altough it worked at my local
machine using Maven 2.0.4.

> Perhaps
> this has been fixed already, if so then great but everyone will need to
> upgrade to 2.0.5-SNAPSHOT for it to work.

see above, I'm not sure if all the bugs about dependency resolution are solved
there either ...

  Also, if you cram the
> dependencies of 100+ modules and their version numbers in the root pom
> then this can become a management bottleneck as well as this pom will
> need to be managed and included in the release process of every module.

yep. IMO we shouldn't use any properties/dependency-management "magic" within
Cocoon trunk.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc