cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Add schema validation for sitemap
Date Thu, 18 Jan 2007 13:01:42 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>>> I started writing an XML schema for our sitemap. You can find a first
>>> version in the 2.1.x branch at tools/src/sitemap-1.0.xsd.
>>>
>>> My idea is to add schema validation to our tree processor engine in
>>> trunk and validate a sitemap when it is read. Of course this will be
>>> configurable and can be turned off.
>>>
>>> I'm not interested in discussions whether XML schema is the best
>>> solution for validation. But I'm interested to hear if others think that
>>> this is a useful idea or not.
>> So far I've been happy with the validation performed by the tree processor. One
>> problem with schema validation is that the error messages are often difficult to

>> understand. It could  also be confusing to our users if validation errors come
>> from two different sources.
> Hmm, yes, might be. The current validation of the tree processor is not
> complete, for example it doesn't detect typos (try using map:prameter
> for example).
> The validation errors of the parser are very good imho, they tell you
> exactly where which error occurs. In addition, they tell you which
> elements are allowed, so you can spot typos etc. very easily.

probably it depends ;-)
I remember some weird error messages together with substitution groups and
extension/restriction relationships but without having looked at the sitemap
schema, I don't think it is that complicated.

As it will be configureable anyway and we already have all necessary libraries
in our dependency graph, just add it. Whether we set schema validation to true
or false per default, can be decided later on.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc