cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Add schema validation for sitemap
Date Thu, 18 Jan 2007 12:50:52 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>> I started writing an XML schema for our sitemap. You can find a first
>> version in the 2.1.x branch at tools/src/sitemap-1.0.xsd.
>>
>> My idea is to add schema validation to our tree processor engine in
>> trunk and validate a sitemap when it is read. Of course this will be
>> configurable and can be turned off.
>>
>> I'm not interested in discussions whether XML schema is the best
>> solution for validation. But I'm interested to hear if others think that
>> this is a useful idea or not.
>
> So far I've been happy with the validation performed by the tree processor. One
> problem with schema validation is that the error messages are often difficult to
> understand. It could  also be confusing to our users if validation errors come
> from two different sources.
Hmm, yes, might be. The current validation of the tree processor is not
complete, for example it doesn't detect typos (try using map:prameter
for example).
The validation errors of the parser are very good imho, they tell you
exactly where which error occurs. In addition, they tell you which
elements are allowed, so you can spot typos etc. very easily.

> IMO a sitemap schema is useful in XML editors that use it to provide code
> completion and validation.

True.

Carsten

--