cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Lars Huttar <lars_hut...@sil.org>
Date Tue, 09 Jan 2007 17:49:50 GMT
On 1/4/2007 11:49 PM, Mark Lundquist wrote (on users@cocoon.apache.org):
>> Next step is to figure out how to use this to trace data flow through
>> the sitemap.
>
> You might take a look here:
>
>     http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/concepts/profiler.html

I've been looking into the profiler, and indeed have used it before for
profiling (finding out how long various pipelines take).
What I don't see is how to view the XML that passes from one component
to another.
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/concepts/profiler.html says you
can do this but doesn't tell how.

Ah, wait... I get it. By clicking on "422ms" (how intuitive!), or "xslt
(testpage.xsl)" (better), you get the XML output.
Then you dig through the sample code, and discover that the profile
generator takes URL parameters (not sitemap parameters) "result" and
"component" that tell it to emit information about a particular output
of a particular component.
E.g.
http://localhost/samples/blocks/profiler/profile.html?key=-9147137934425539743&result=0&component=1&cocoon-view=content
I guess the profile2.html view makes this a little more obvious, but
only after you discover that the "0" under "Last" is a link, and that it
might be something worthwhile to click on!

http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/profile-generator.html has some of
this information; it would be good to have a link from
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/concepts/profiler.html to the
latter. I've added a comment to that page in Daisy (does anybody read
those comments?)

It would also be helpful to put an explanatory note about that on the
sample page:
http://localhost/samples/blocks/profiler/profile.html?key=-9147137934425539743
could say at the top, "Click on a time to view the relevant XML result
from that component."

I agree, this is very useful functionality, but not very easy to
discover. Hence its value for newcomers, who need it most, is greatly
diminished.
I think I would like to rework this sample to be more illuminating, and
submit it for committing. I would also be happy to work on improving the
documentation pages.
Can somebody tell me the process for getting changes approved and
committed? I'm familiar with SVN, just don't know who to talk to in the
Cocoon project.

Lars