cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From hepabolu <hepab...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: RFC: CForms Roadmap
Date Tue, 09 Jan 2007 16:25:21 GMT
Jeremy Quinn said the following on 9/1/07 13:12:

> The next level of complexity, is all of the groups and layout stuff in
> the cforms xslt.
> In hindsight, it seems this could have been done cleaner in a separate
> namespace, but we do not have that option now, unless we want to force
> everyone to completely re-work their form templates etc.
>
> However, I do find lots of inconsistencies with the layouting code .....
> for instance, I have not found a way to combine the layouting tags with
> stuff like repeaters and as you say, there is possibly too much usage of
> tables.
>
> I would love to see more of the layout structure use divs and css, but
> this was not done originally I suspect as these types of layouts are
> more difficult to achieve.

I once started (way back when 2.1.7 or 2.1.8 was released) to convert
the XSLT to divs and CSS, replacing the tables. I ran into problems with
the "autoformat" settings like "columns" and "rows", because there is no
way to get that flexibly working without tables when you have no clue
what type of widget it is and how long the label is.

Also: fieldset is rendered differently in different browsers, that would
mean you have to apply CSS hacks for all possible browsers thus moving
the complication from XSLT to CSS.

Just my 2ct.

Although I'd love to tinker with this some more.

Bye, Helma