cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Changes to CForms in 2.1.11-dev
Date Wed, 03 Jan 2007 11:43:01 GMT
Ralph Goers wrote:
> Jeremy,
>
> Does this break binary compatibility? Some of the changes sound like
> users who upgrade from 2.1.10 to 2.1.11 may have to modify their
> application?  If so, I see that as a problem.

While I usually agree with these statements, I think/hope that the
benefit of these changes is much higher than the inconvenience you get.
For a long time we try to tell our users to recompile their applications
when upgrading. With over 150 dependencies, upgrading a Cocoon
application and hoping for binary compatibility is very very brave.

The other point is that we did such changes (and noone complained in the
past). If you upgrade from 2.1.8 to 2.1.9 you might now what a pain it
is as mostly everything in cforms changed.
Jeremy's lastes changes sound to me like minor changes and as they are
well documented I see no real problem with.

If we want to go the 100% compatiblity path, the only option is to do
changes like these in 2.2...

Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler - Chief Architect