cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: cocoon-webapp, cocoon-dist-samples (Re: svn commit: r491696 - /cocoon/trunk/core/cocoon-webapp/pom.xml)
Date Tue, 02 Jan 2007 18:55:47 GMT
I don't say that it is much harder to keep cocoon-dist-samples working
than making cocoon-webapp working. I just say that I lack the motivation.

The reason for that is that cocoon-webapp is a good example for seeing
what a development environment for Cocoon 2.2 looks like with Maven poms
and everything. While cocoon-dist-samples just is a prepackaged
application. You can't use it for starting new projects or learning
anything, its just show case the samples, nothing else.

And the samples are the same as in 2.1 so if you want to see them you
can just point your browser to
http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/demos/release/.

Later, when we have released 2.2, a binary sample distribution might be
worthwhile currently it is, IMO, not. But if someone is motivated,
please go ahead and fix it. But IIRC, it has never worked correctly.

What IMO would be cool, would be to "blockify" the samples. If we do
that the "sample app" would only be a POM that would download all the
needed blocks and create a webapp from them with the deployer. That
would illustrate what Cocoon 2.2 is about. A fat binary sample app doesn't.

/Daniel