cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Lundquist ...@wrinkledog.com>
Subject Re: What is the deal with "blocks"
Date Wed, 03 Jan 2007 22:24:19 GMT

On Jan 3, 2007, at 7:16 AM, Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:

>  Mark Lundquist skrev:
>> On Jan 2, 2007, at 2:36 PM, Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>>
>>> Finding some term that doesn't contain the word block for
>>> "polymorphic servlet services", would be much less of a problem as
>>> it is different from the original block concept and not that many
>>> people have used the blocks-fw yet.Fair enough :-)
>>> So if someone have suggestions for a better terminology for the
>>> "polymorphic servlet services" I at least would be prepared to go
>>> for it.
>>
>>  How about just "services"?
> To generic in my taste.

I kinda felt that too :-)  I actually almost suggested
"servlet-services" but I thought maybe that sounded too unwieldy.

>  I think that "servlet:" protocol would describe pretty well what it
> all is about. Also it is implemented using the named dispatcher
> mechanism in the ServletContext, so it really is named servlets that
> the protocol dispatches to.

Then "servlet:" makes perfect sense.  I like the transparency.

>>  E.g.,
>> • services-fw
> I would prefer servlet-services-fw or just servlet-services.
yeah, bag the "-fw" :-)

>> • ServiceServlet (or "CocoonServiceServlet"?)
> ServletService would be OK.

That class does implement Servlet (extends HttpServlet IIRC) so maybe
"ServiceServlet" emphasizes the right "is-a" relationship there?

>> • ServiceContext (or "CocoonServiceContext"?)
> ServiceServletContext maybe.
yup

>  Also we could add some Spring bean factory and XML-schema based
> configuration, that put the focus on the embedded servlet instead of
> the "blocks fw" so [...] we could have something like:
>   <bean id="org.apache.cocoon.blocks.sample.block1"
> class="org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.SitemapServlet">
>     <servlet:context mountPath="/cocoon-blocks-fw-sample1"
>
> contextPath="blockcontext:/cocoon-blocks-fw-sample/test1">
>       <servlet:context-param name="foo" value="bar"/>
>       <servlet:connection name="test2"
> value-ref="org.apache.cocoon.blocks.sample.block2"/>
>     </servlet:context>
>   </bean>
>
>  The point here is that the sitemap servlet is considered as an
> ordinary bean and the elements in the servlet name space sets up a
> bean factory that embeds the sitemap servlet in a block servlet and
> make sure that the somewhat special life cycle of servlets is
> respected. Using a servlet in the Spring framework would be as easy
> as:
>   <bean id="myservlet" class="com.mycompany.MyServlet">
>     <servlet:context mountPath="/my">
>   </bean>
>
>  And would be usable outside Cocoon.

Very nice.