cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <jer...@fiveone.org>
Subject RFC: CForms Roadmap
Date Sun, 07 Jan 2007 13:01:37 GMT
Hi All

Now that Cocoon 2.1.11-dev runs Dojo 0.4.1, I think we have a solid
platform to complete the modernisation of CForms client-side code.

I hope the main outcomes of this will be :
	Leaner: only the resources that are used will be loaded by cforms
	Richer: more interactive widgets with wider x-platform support
	Cleaner: eliminate most of the messy <script> tags scattered through
our forms
	Simpler: use more html templates to simplify our xslt (and simpler
to adapt the widgets)

Here is a list of specific goals I would love us to achieve for the
next release.
I hope to be working on this stuff, you would be very welcome if
you'd like to join in !!!!
If you would like to take on something from this list (or something I
missed out) please discuss it on the dev list so no-one is
duplicating effort.

Replacements :

Date/Time widget : replace MattKruse stuff with Dojo's implementation.
Help & validation popups: replace MattKruse stuff with a new Dojo
implementation.
Tabs: replace with Dojo Tabs
RichText: replace htmlarea with Dojo Editor, using a new fi:styling,
so htmlarea can still be used
MultiValue Editor: re-implement as a Dojo widget
MultiList (OptionTransfer) Selector: replace with a new Dojo widget
Maps: not even sure our current one is working, replace with Dojo
(Yahoo and Google)

Possible Additions :

Easy graphically rich buttons, dialogs, menus etc.
Charts to plot user data
Colour picker
Re-sizable textarea
Sliders: graphical selector for number ranges etc.
Spinner: adjust values up and down with ± buttons
exist between CForms and Dojo, make new ones

Issues:

We need to do this work in such a way that has the absolute minimum
impact on existing cforms projects.
eg. adapting Dojo widgets to work the CForms way and not the other
way around.

We need to make it easier to customise the style, layout and
behaviour of our supplied widgets.

We are probably going to have issues with i18n and l10n.
Dojo is only just starting to deal with this area, while CForms has
always delt with it.
Dojo, performs i18n on the client instead of on the server as cforms
does.
Very few of Dojo's widgets are i18n enabled yet.
Dojo uses a different format of i18n message dictionary than we do
(all of this is kind of obvious).

Most of the work above will involve either extending existing dojo
widgets or making new ones.
We ought to be adding i18n/l10n as we go along.

We need to decide whether we want to keep our message dictionary
format (transforming it on the fly for dojo) or start using Dojo's
format (for widget internals).

What did I miss out ?

I hope this whets your appetite !

Let's get on with the replacements first !!

WDYT ?

regards Jeremy