cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: CForms problem
Date Sat, 20 Jan 2007 17:04:06 GMT
On Sat, 2007-01-20 at 17:14 +0100, Philipp Zerelles wrote:
> I found a problem in CForms that seems to be known already but not really addressed.
>
> When I have a CForm and go to a completely different page from there and then come back
using the continuation,
> my form input fields are cleared because there are no request-parameters and a null value
is treated as if the request-parameter was set empty.
> The real problem with this is that the validation is triggered as well and errors may
be shown although there are none.

> This is the part in org.apache.cocoon.forms.formmodel.Field that is responsible for that:
>
>    // FIXME: Should we consider only non-null values?
>    // Although distinguishing an empty value (input present but blank) from a null value
>     // (input not present in the form) is possible, this distinction is not possible
for
>    // several other kinds of widgets such as BooleanField or MultiValueField. So we keep
>    // it consistent with other widgets.
>    //if (newEnteredValue != null) {
>    readFromRequest(newEnteredValue);
>    //}
>
> Are the values the form had when last posted not still stored in the widget? After a
failed submit I mean.
> This code always will overwrite them with empty values if coming back without request-parameters.
>
> What do you think about that?

Seems normal behaviour to me. If you want to go back to the form, the
form shouldn't do a 'form process' cycle, it should simply display the
form. For most forms, this can best be done by making a distinction
between http GET (display form) and POST (process form) requests.

For those cases where a GET makes more sense (e.g. a search form), the
parameters should simply be in the URL.