cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Luca Morandini <lmorand...@ieee.org>
Subject Re: Cocoon Properties, Re: Cocoon 2.2 Samples Setting MultipartFilter Max Upload Size
Date Tue, 12 Dec 2006 15:29:00 GMT
Giacomo Pati wrote:

> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>> Luca Morandini wrote:
>>> This was neatly solved by the use of WEB-INF/cocoon/properties, since it
>>> was loaded after the "classpath:*" chain.
>>>
>> Yes, you're right. Hmm, perhaps we should load properties from
>> WEB-INF/classes last. I'll have a look at that as well.
>
> Luca is absolutely right! WEB-INF/classes should be the last resort where one ultimatively
can
> overwrite properties (same should be true for WEB-INF/classes/META-INF/cocoon/spring/.....)

Just to be absolutely clear: In my eyes
WEB-INF/classes/META-INF/cocoon/properties should be used for block-wide
property or cocoon defaults, and WEB-INF/cocoon/properties for
project-wide properties.

I suppose most users would just put their properties under
WEB-INF/cocoon and update the *.properties under
WEB-INF/classes/META-INF only at their peril (a block update, or the
adding of a block that happens to have a properties file starting with a
  greater letter of the alphabet may ruin their day).

By the way, let's suppose I use block fooblock, which has a nice
META-INF/cocoon/properties/fooblock.properties file tucked under its
JAR: is fooblock.properties unzipped by default under
WEB-INF/classes/META-INF so I can modify its properties ?

If so, what happens when there is another version of fooblock ? Is the
properties file overwritten at installation (deploy) time ?

Sorry if the last questions seem so silly, but... "better safe than
sorry" ;)

Regards,

    Luca Morandini
www.lucamorandini.it