cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <jer...@apache.org>
Subject Re: onSubmit Handlers and Ajax
Date Thu, 28 Dec 2006 17:16:37 GMT

On 28 Dec 2006, at 16:12, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Jeremy Quinn wrote:
>> If I understand you correctly, I think I would prefer all pre-
>> validation to occur even if there are validation errors found,
>> otherwise user needs to fix-submit, fix-submit etc. to 'discover' the
>> errors one by one. I would rather see all validation errors in one
>> go.
>>
> Ok, this depends on what you do in the handlers :) Now, we have the
> use
> case where we display a popup telling the user what to fix...now if
> two
> handlers open up a popup one after the other that's not that user
> friendly I guess...but we could just use one single handler for
> this and
> are done. No problem.

Or display errors in a less modal way?

BTW. Dojo is adding client-side validation to some of it's form
widgets, I'll have a look at that stuff soon, to see if it would be
useful in CForms.

see: http://archive.dojotoolkit.org/nightly/tests/widget/
test_validate.html

>>> So I think the current behaviour is fine :) But perhaps there are
>>> other
>>> use cases? What about a chain implementation? So a handler can
>>> decide to
>>> call the next handler or not?
>>
>> Eeek! ;)
> :) I guessed you love it!
>

>> You have a usecase for this ?
> Nope, see my example from above. If we use one single handler for all
> our prevalidation, we're fine.
>>
>> Should an onSubmit Handler know if others exist ?
>> This is going to mean more api changes and more incompatibility
>> issues for people with custom widgets. :(
>>
>> Convince me ;)
> Sorry, no :)

He he he he ;)

>> And BTW. Can you think why onSubmit Handlers should no longer be
>> called before Ajax submits (the original question) ?
> I have no idea - but I could imagine that the idea was to invoke the
> handlers only if the form is really submitted and not for any form
> based
> ajax requests. So I guess this is a bug then, but it's just a guess :)
> I think this should be fixed if noone comes up with a good reason.

I think I may have been confused about how dojo.event.connect
'around' advice works.
Now I think maybe they are being called during Ajax submits, sorry
for the noise.

best regards

Jeremy