cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Gabriele Columbro" <colum...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ajaxifying the ImageMap widget
Date Fri, 01 Dec 2006 12:11:11 GMT
Hi Jeremy,
been quite busy in the last days but had some progresses anyway in the
imagemap side:
the quick'n'dirty solution (with a modified version of the buildQueryString
function) is properly working, updating the map at every click. So cool
stuff!
Probably not worth committing the whole js stuff for sending imagemap.x and
imagemap.y request-params (as it's based on the 2.1.9 ajax support) but
maybe only the ImageMap.java widget support for BrowserUpdate (via
autoadding to form.updatedWidgets).
WDYT?

On 11/25/06, Jeremy Quinn <jeremy@apache.org> wrote:

> Ciao Gabriele

 <snip/>

HTH

> regards Jeremy
>

> PS. Are you sure this will look good though ? If what you are doing
> is just re-centering the map on the new coords, I'd be tempted to
> write a Dojo WIdget to handle this itself, give you a smooth scroll
> to the new centre (everyone is used to Google Maps etc.) rather than
> replace the image using BrowserUpdate. (Just my humble opinion ;))

You were right though, probably the best solution is to implement a dojo
widget for handling map and feature update client side (also because I'm not
allowed to add arbitrary content on the map, say POI, after the browser
update transformer, or at least I don't like a tricky solution).
A good point to start may be this [1]. WDYT?
IMHO It's pretty fast and seems "mainstream" dojo ;-)
I would like to first try integrate it, and then maybe generalize it for non
tiled maps and for different POI rendering models.
I'm svn-upping the 2.1.10-dev branch so I can first check out changes you
made to the ajax support before integrating or working on it.
BTW are those changes also reflected in the trunk? Just to know which is the
expected longevity of the work I'm going to do ;-)

Ciao!

Gabriele

[1] http://archive.dojotoolkit.org/nightly/tests/widget/test_GoogleMap.html
(thanks to Valerio for pin-pointing me to this link ;-) )

Eng. Gabriele Columbro
Consultant at Sourcesense Italy
work: g.columbro@pronetics.it
private: columbro@gmail.com