cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <>
Subject Problem with the Eclipse Jetty launcher
Date Sun, 31 Dec 2006 12:20:08 GMT
While trying to use the Eclipse Jetty launcher for testing cocoon-webapp
I got the error:

java.lang.IllegalStateException: No thread-bound request found: Are you
referring to request attributes outside of an actual web request? If you
are actually operating within a web request and still receive this
message,your code is probably running outside of
DispatcherServlet/DispatcherPortlet: In this case, use
RequestContextListener or RequestContextFilter to expose the current

Which was discussed in
(this happens if the container doesn't support servlet 2.4). I found
this strange as the web.xml in cocoon-webapp is configured to use
servlet 2.4 and Jetty 5.1 that is used in the Eclipse Jetty Launcher
also supports servlet 2.4.

After some searching at the web I found out that Jetty 5.1 doesn't
support request listener by default.

The way to turn on request listener support is to take a copy of the
file etc/webdefault.xml in the Jetty 5.1 distribution and uncomment the
jsr154 filter definition in the end of the file. After that you need to
go to your Jetty launcher run configuration in Eclipse, choose "Use
custom webdefaults config file" and point it to your modified
webdefault.xml file.

After the Jetty launcher works with cocoon-webapp again.

View raw message