cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Managing "changes" information
Date Fri, 29 Dec 2006 13:53:51 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> We have to find some way to mange the changes information between versions of
> our different modules in Cocoon 2.2. In Cocoon 2.1 we use the status.xml based
> on the status DTD. At the documentation creation process, Forrest integrates it
> into the docs.
>
> For 2.2 I can think of 3 alternatives:
>
>   - Continue using status.xml, setup one in every module and write a Maven
>     reporting plugin that adds them to the documentation
>
>   - Use the Maven changes format and also have one document at each module.
>     The reporting plugin for this format already exists but it doesn't allow
>     mixed content in the description element.
>
>   - Use Daisy. Create a new document type called "ChangeItem". This document
>     type contains information about the module and the version it belongs to,
>     the type (add, update, etc.), the person responsible for the change, etc.
>     Daisy provides powerful queries to create reports which can be integrated
>     into the existing documentation.
>
> As I'm not a big fan of writing documents in XML by hand, I will setup the
> necessary infrastructure in Daisy so that we can play with it and form an opinion.
>
> Any thoughts, ideas?

Currently we have a status.xml for each block in trunk already which
lists (should list) changes between 2.1.x and 2.2. I think it is far
easier to keep track of changes (= add a comment to the changes
document) if it sits right next to the code that was changed. Today,
status.xml is not kept accordingly in all cases and I really fear noone
will ever add changes to some document stored somewhere else (in Daisy
for example).

I think it's not a matter of how I edit the document but more a where do
I edit it. Handling the changes xml document really requires a minimum
of XML as you just have to add an entry element and add your text inbetween.

Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler - Chief Architect
http://www.s-und-n.de