cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Configuration handling in 2.2 (properties etc.)
Date Fri, 29 Dec 2006 10:07:53 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> In the last months we changed the handling of properties and
> configurations files several times.
>
> The current implementation is a clean solution which reads configuration
> files from the classpath. While this is a very nice solution, especially
> for distributing components, it has the drawback that currently users
> have to put their own global configuration either into a jar file or
> into WEB-INF/classes/META-INF/cocoon.
>
> (I recently updated this mechanism to give properties from
> WEB-INF/classes precedence over jar files).
>
> Some raised the concern on this list that this is not very intuitiv and
> they would like to include WEB-INF/cocoon/* to be read by default as well.
> Adding support for this is very easy, it's just one more line of code,
> so this is not the deal. The question is if we want to provide this
> extra location or not?

I'm in the not camp. Starting with 2.2 there shouldn't be any Cocoon
applications anymore that are not developed as blocks. The only exception from
this rule of decentralization is Spring properties in WEB-INF/cocoon/spring as
there should be a way to set them globally.

FWIW, I would even go a step further and remove WEB-INF/classes/META-INF/cocoon
as location for Spring beans and Avalon configurations.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc