cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What is the deal with "blocks"
Date Thu, 28 Dec 2006 18:00:21 GMT
Mark Lundquist wrote:
> Hi, I've been wanting to ask this question in one form or another for at
> least the last year, but never gotten around to it until now... at
> various points I've scanned the archives for the early discussions about
> "real blocks", and skimmed discussions btwn. Daniel and others on the
> dev list as they went by, which by that time were too advanced for me to
> really follow...
>
> There are two different meanings of "block", right? :-)
>
> The first sense of "block" denotes an optional part of Cocoon, e.g.
> "forms", "batik", "html", etc.).  In 2.1 we would configure
> local.blocks.properties to include or exclude blocks from the build.

right

> The second sense — I'll refer to it as "Block", with a captial "B" — is
> apparently something different, with new protocols, etc., which is
> implemented by the cocoon-blocks-fw module.
>
> This terminology overloading is kind of confusing even to me, and I'm
> not really a newbie anymore... is there a plan to resolve the
> nomenclature issue?  Or is the intent that all of today's "blocks" will
> someday become "Blocks", or what?

blocks don't provide any contracts. Their main purpose is spliting the large
codebase into smaller pieces.

> Can somebody point me to the most current/definitive discussions or Wiki
> posts or whatever to help me sort out what the new "Blocks" are all about?

For the upcoming Cocoon homepage I try to find some definition. Have a look at
the latest version
(http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/cdocs-site-main/g1/1285.html). Also see
Daniel's presentation at the GT
(http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon-data/attachments/GT2006Notes/attachments/12-CocoonBlocks.pdf)

> Also: how do I run the sample/demo from cocoon-blocks-fw?

Haven't tried it for some time but if you follow the getting started guide at
http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/cdocs-site-main/g2/1159.html and add the
sample block as further dependency to the myWebapp module (make sure that you
have installed them to the local Maven repo before), you should be able to run them.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc