cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: onSubmit Handlers and Ajax
Date Thu, 28 Dec 2006 16:12:38 GMT
Jeremy Quinn wrote:
> If I understand you correctly, I think I would prefer all pre-
> validation to occur even if there are validation errors found,
> otherwise user needs to fix-submit, fix-submit etc. to 'discover' the
> errors one by one. I would rather see all validation errors in one go.

Ok, this depends on what you do in the handlers :) Now, we have the use
case where we display a popup telling the user what to fix...now if two
handlers open up a popup one after the other that's not that user
friendly I guess...but we could just use one single handler for this and
are done. No problem.

>> So I think the current behaviour is fine :) But perhaps there are
>> other
>> use cases? What about a chain implementation? So a handler can
>> decide to
>> call the next handler or not?
>
> Eeek! ;)
:) I guessed you love it!

> You have a usecase for this ?
Nope, see my example from above. If we use one single handler for all
our prevalidation, we're fine.

> Should an onSubmit Handler know if others exist ?
> This is going to mean more api changes and more incompatibility
> issues for people with custom widgets. :(
>
> Convince me ;)
Sorry, no :)

> And BTW. Can you think why onSubmit Handlers should no longer be
> called before Ajax submits (the original question) ?
I have no idea - but I could imagine that the idea was to invoke the
handlers only if the form is really submitted and not for any form based
ajax requests. So I guess this is a bug then, but it's just a guess :)
I think this should be fixed if noone comes up with a good reason.

Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler - Chief Architect
http://www.s-und-n.de