cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Drop JDK1.3 support after 2.1.10 release
Date Mon, 18 Dec 2006 15:22:50 GMT
Ralph Goers wrote:
> Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>> What I fear is that, if we release an evolution of 2.1.x and name it
>> 2.2, people will be confused. For example by searching our lists for
>> "2.2" and finding lots of messages about Maven, while *that* 2.2
>> version would not use Maven.
> That is a valid concern. We kind of painted ourselves in a box by
> calling trunk 2.2 way before it was ready to be anything.  However, even
> taking trunk in isolation and forgetting the JDK 1.3 issue, I think
> trunk is more deserving of 3.0 than 2.2.
Hmm, on of the main ideas of 2.2 is to be able to run existing applications
without changes. Ok, we all know that this is plain theory, but
currently you
are able to run existing applications with minor tweaks. Most of these
tweaks have to be done to your build system.

If we open up the can of worms and call current trunk 3.0, we will start
to refactor everything and will never release a 2.2 final (which is
given the current situation very hard anyway).

Perhaps we should rethink this "drop jdk1.3 support" stuff, remove the
comment from the status file and get 2.1.10 out.

Carsten Ziegeler - Chief Architect

View raw message