cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From hepabolu <hepab...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Drop JDK1.3 support after 2.1.10 release
Date Mon, 18 Dec 2006 11:59:57 GMT
Guys,

I read only part of the discussion but seeing the reasons to either drop
the 1.3 compatibility (no resources, too much effort) or keep it
(versioning requirements), both sides have valuable arguments.

My initial thought was similar to Ralph's only he had better arguments ;-) :

- stop the development of Cocoon 2.1 after the release of 2.1.10

- rename the current branch to Cocoon 2.2 without the 1.3 compatibility
(and maybe other minor changes that are now prevented by the versioning
contract)

- rename the current trunk to Cocoon 3.0

- rename what is currently mentioned as Cocoon 3.0 to Cocoon 4.0 (or
whatever).

This makes the expectations of the various versions far more clear than
the current versioning.

As a sidenote: I think this also makes it easier to write migration
paths from 2.1 to 2.2 to 3.0. And I get the feeling that the proposed
2.2 version is/can be closer to the proposed version 3.0 than in the
current situation, thus making the migration a little less hard.

WDYT?

Bye, Helma