cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [vote] Releasing from trunk (cocoon-core-2.2.0-M2 and others)
Date Wed, 13 Dec 2006 10:29:29 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>> Please cast your votes, whether we want to publish these artifacts to the
>> official Maven repository and make the release official. The vote is open
>> for 72 hours.
>
> -1
>
> I tried to raise these issues when Reinhard proposed the release plan.
>
> The procedure is not being followed. We need to vote on sources,
> not binaries. We also need to publish those sources as the release.

for e.g. cocoon-core you find sources, binaries and javadocs in
http://people.apache.org/builds/cocoon/org/apache/cocoon/cocoon-core/2.2.0-M2/

These can be found in http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/tags/

> See the last paragraph of http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what

After reading it again, I'm not sure of what a release really is. From my
understanding everything is a release, whether it is something you call, alpha,
beta, GA or whatever.

> I am not just being a stickler for procedure, rather that the
> PMC has responsibilities.

What are you missing exactly?

> Perhaps follow the release procedure that Carsten already has been using,
> of course with the additional maven bits.

Again, what are you missing? Except the JIRA updates I think everything is done
to vote on the artifacts, isn't it?

> Why is there an "-M2" in the artefact names? If it is a "release"
> and not a "milestone" then it should be named "2.2.0".

For me both things are releases

http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what
Releases are, by definition, anything that is published beyond the group that
owns it. In our case, that means any publication outside the group of people on
the product dev list. If the general public is being instructed to download a
package, then that package has been released. Each PMC must obey the ASF
requirements on approving any release. How you label the package is a secondary
issue, described below. [...]

but if I'm wrong with my interpreation I have not problem in saying that the
milestones are no releases in the sense of the above text.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc