cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: i18nTransformer problems with static pages
Date Fri, 08 Dec 2006 00:20:05 GMT
On 07.12.2006 11:51, Ard Schrijvers wrote:

> 1) The lightweight StripNameSpaceTransformer ... Add
> this to trunk/branch or not?

+1

> 2) The XHTML serializer: Make it by default strip the list of
> namespaces we know people don't want to sent to the browser.

-1 No, please don't. If you have a browser that does not understand
XHTML (like IE) don't feed it with XHTML! It's as simple like that. If
it understands XHTML it also must be able to handle namespace
declarations and additional XML-specific attributes like xml:space or
xml:lang. Do you want to suppress them as well?

Such a behaviour might be valid for a HTMLSerializer though. But
actually I don't care for that one when we have StripNameSpaceTransformer.

> About serializers: Does anybody know why we have a serialization part
> in cocoon core and one in a serializers block? Is it preferred to use
> serializers from the serializers block? Normally, I am using
> org.apache.cocoon.serialization.HTMLSerializer and configure
> doctype-public.

Those from core are Xalan's serializers at the end. Those from
serializers block are own implementations from Cocoon once made by Pier.
As Cocoon should not write serializer IMO I prefer the core ones. A
better integration with Xalan community to get our wishes applied to
those serializers might be desirable (one issue was the closing of tags,
which must not be closed or consist only of a start tag in HTML IIRC).
This would make our own implementations superfluous.

Jörg