cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From hepabolu <hepab...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [graphics] Masthead artwork for cocoon.apache.org
Date Thu, 07 Dec 2006 09:59:23 GMT
Jorg Heymans said the following on 7/12/06 09:06:
> Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>
>>  3. PNG scaling == big problems.
>>  4. Thien normally works with Illustrator, and handing over SVG instead
>>     of rendered PNG is not a big deal.
>
> I see your point. Well as long as Thien is happy in the end that's fine
> then :)
>

> <Off-Topic>
> Thien: how good is Illustrators SVG output nowadays? I had to process
> its output once and remember having to manually clean up each file to
> stop Batik from barfing during rendering. The way it embedded fonts,
> used custom elements and namespaces etc seemed to completely confuse the
> renderer. This was 4 years ago though, so i'm just curious to see if
> batik and illustrator have evolved since then ;)
> </Off-Topic>

 From my very limited experience (creating simple things in Inkscape and
continu in Illustrator because of easier to use features):

- text blocks created in Inkscape give problems in Illustrator (CS2):
they end up as gray blocks and Illustrator complains about fonts if they
happen to be unavailable. I haven't yet found a solution other than
going back to Inkscape, change the fonts and redo the steps in Illustrator.
- there is something different between positions and scaling between
Inkscape and Illustrator: a drawing that is centered on the page in
Inkscape is suddenly half way off the page in Illustrator.

There are issues, but I'm not sure if it's a major problem. We might do
a reverse check: Illustrator SVG to Inkscape and see what happens.

Just my €0.02

Bye, Helma