cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Simone Gianni <simo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Building changes into the top level sitemap
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2006 22:32:19 GMT
Jeremy Quinn wrote:
> Documentation would really help.
Absolutely!

> I have just been working on an established project that is built from
> 2.2 and I could see the advantages of the new platform.
>
> However, many perceive 2.2 as almost unusable. It clearly is being
> used but the procedures are very different from 2.1 ..... the results
> can be completely unpredictable ..... it will compile one minute and
> not the next, this is very off-putting. If the less experienced
> developers like myself cannot feel confidant with the build system for
> 2.2 what hope do we have of users embracing it?
IIUC, the users should not build cocoon 2.2, they will just use maven to
fetch an archetype, write their sitemaps and stuff there, configure
their dependencies, and then use again maven to build it. Maven will
fetch cocoon core, all the needed blocks, and produce a war or launch
jetty with it.

> Sorry this is in no way intended as a personal criticism, merely a
> statement of facts as I perceive them.
Same here, nothing wrong at all with the incredible work that has been
made on 2.2.

The real problem at the moment, in my opinion, are not the users, but
the *developers*. I've been using 2.2 in last 4 months, experimenting
with it a lot, but still don't know how many things work, things changes
continuously, and we (even committers) don't know what still has to be
done and how. It's not a matter of code by itself, or maven, or osgi.

> From my PoV, the areas most urgently in need of documentation are :
>
> A cookbook for how to develop 2.2 (as you describe)
> Recipes for starting your own project.
> Troubleshooting hint for solving common build problems.
Again, absolutely, and I'd like to add also :
A clear and detailed roadmap to 2.2

Currently about 3 to 5 people are *really working* on 2.2. Many other
people (me for example) would like to contribute more, but we don't know
exactly what has to be done. It would be a good idea, IMO, to stop
developing for a few days, share knowledge with others (documentation
and roadmap), assign roles to people (by block?), so that the 3/4 days
"lost" by a small group in producing documenta can be recovered by a
joint effort of more people.

WDYT?

Simone