cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Lundquist ...@wrinkledog.com>
Subject Re: HTML mails (was Re: Building changes into the top level sitemap)
Date Wed, 06 Dec 2006 01:57:14 GMT

On Dec 5, 2006, at 2:49 PM, Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Mark Lundquist wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 5, 2006, at 8:50 AM, Jeremy Quinn wrote:
>>
>>     I have just been working on an established project that is built
>>     from 2.2 and I could see the advantages of the new platform.
>>

>> Yeah, it's awesome.
>>
>>     However, many perceive 2.2 as almost unusable.
>>

>> Well, it /is/ nearly unusable, but I guess that will change very soon.
>> This is why it's not been released yet :-)
>
> <snip/>
>
> Mark, from time to time you send mails in HTML. Can you please make
> sure
> you send mails in plain text to the list? It will ease the reader's
> job,
> as HTML indentation doesn't make it easy to distinguish quoted
> messages.

Ugh, yeah I see what you mean from the snip above.

It's actually not HTML email, though... it's a multipart plaintext +
RTF email.  I see you are using Thunderbird, so... just for fun I fired
up Mozilla, brought up the Gmane usenet mirror in the newreader and
looked at my message (the one you replied to), and sure enough, it was
doing the indenting thing.

It appears that Mozilla/T-bird just doesn't render the RTF <excerpt>
element in a very useful way, and does not let you configure anything
different.  Interestingly, plaintext email w/ quoted excerpts using the
standard ">" style displays beautifully; Mozilla translates that into a
nice gray bar running along the side.  You can configure Mozilla to
default to that just by checking "View > Message Body As > Plain Text".
  Try it and then look at my message again, and you should see that it
looks just right.

cheers,
—ml—