cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Lars Trieloff <l...@trieloff.net>
Subject Re: [RT] Accessing environment information in 2.2
Date Mon, 11 Dec 2006 19:16:04 GMT
Hi Daniel, Carsten,

> Carsten Ziegeler skrev:
>> During development you sometimes face the problem that you need
>> access
>> to specific information, like the current request object (or its
>> parameters), the Spring application context, the servlet context etc.
>>
>> In an ideal world where everything is a component, this is no
>> issue as
>> the container provides a way for this. But as we all know, the
>> world is
>> not ideal and this means, you sometimes need access to those objects
>> when you don't have anything else to use.
>>
> Can you give some specific examples where you need this?

We have similar needs. For using REST-style POST and PUT request with
blocks it is neccessary to copy the original request input stream to
a new block request, so it would be helpful to be able to access the
original request at this point of time.
Another use case is copying request parameters when using blocks. I'm
sure Alexander can give you some more details.

>> I think we need a way to access the servlet context, the original
>> http
>> request/response object and the current application context. (If you
>> have access to the current request object, you can get the
>> application
>> context from the request).
>>
> Spring has some kind of request scope for beans together with a
> servlet filter for setting up the scope it has also mechanisms for
> keeping dependencies on request scoped beans up to date. This is a
> fairly structured and controlled way to handle request scoped
> information. And it keeps DI and testability. Would it be enough
> for your needs?

If there is a solution for this problem that does not uses global
variables, we should go for it.

Lars

--
Lars Trieloff