cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Drop JDK1.3 support after 2.1.10 release
Date Mon, 18 Dec 2006 04:05:40 GMT
On Thursday 14 December 2006 07:55, Alfred Nathaniel wrote:

> I therefore propose to declare 2.1.10 the last release with JDK1.3
> compatibility.
> Please cast your votes.

As Antonio points out, a vote in this fashion ain't totally kosher. We are
supposed to discuss the items and if a consensus is reached during the
discussion the vote is superflous.

<---- discussion ---->

Personally, I don't care about the 1.3 compatibility, as I have moved all my
involvement to Java 5, but that is IMHO not relevant.

If we have made a prior commitment of keeping the 2.1.x compatible with
JDK1.3, then that should stand. It should not be a matter of what a handful
developers think. They are usually on the curring edge anyway, but what the
user community are depending on. It is these type of inconcistencies that
drives users away from a project, and by now Cocoon I feel Cocoon has a
rather low reputation and considered a niche and novel project that one can't
use in 'real' projects.

If we find it hard to maintain, then let that be it and stop evolving it.
Saying that we keep evolving 2.1.11+ in JDK1.4 (assumingly backporting stuff
from 2.2.x) and on top of that maintain a 2.1.10.x line for bug fixes seems
even more work to me.

I would be voting -1 in behalf of unheard users.

View raw message