cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Alfred Nathaniel <>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Drop JDK1.3 support after 2.1.10 release
Date Tue, 19 Dec 2006 21:38:53 GMT
On Tue, 2006-12-19 at 02:50 -0600, Antonio Gallardo wrote:

> Also given the current status, I am wondering if we should reconsider
> java 1.4 as the minimum for cocoon 2.2. We should keep in mind java 1.6
> is out, hence if we agree to have java 1.4 as minimum we will have to
> support it for the next 2 years or so (based on the current release
> time). Thinking in 2 years for now. I wonder who will still be using
> java 1.4 and hence we will met the same issue as today, isn't?

AT may day job we recently switched to Java5, and I started to convert
the code base.  Generics are useful to better understand code which
makes extensive use of Lists and Maps, and the new for-loop I find
really neat.

But it is only syntactic sugar.  I don't see a killer feature to justify
giving up just yet compatibility to 1.4, which is still the production
JVM version for many enterprises (including the one I work for).

In order to avoid the same squeeze we are in atm for 2.1/1.3 we should
call *the next big thing* Cocoon 3.0.  Then we can close 2.2 and start
2.3 with 1.5 as minimum JVM whenever it makes sense.

Cheers, Alfred.

PS congrats for you little boy.

View raw message