cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Alfred Nathaniel <anathan...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Drop JDK1.3 support after 2.1.10 release
Date Mon, 18 Dec 2006 22:43:37 GMT
On Mon, 2006-12-18 at 16:24 +0100, Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
> > Perhaps we should rethink this "drop jdk1.3 support" stuff, remove the
> > comment from the status file and get 2.1.10 out.
>
> I agree.

I agree, too.

The last thing I want is to hold up the 2.1.10.  If I had known what I
stirred up here, I would not have started it.

I apologize for the short time for discusion and vote but the idea was
to get it into 2.1.10.  Otherwise it will stay forever.

Personally I think trunk is still too immature and unapproachable that
there must a way open for 2.1.11+ release.

I have nothing against staying JDK1.3 compatible, only I doubt that is
is still useful.  I think it is simply a non-issue, and we are making
life unnecessarily hard for ourselves.  Hands up, who has still a
working 1.3 JVM on his computer to support it?

If we weren't nailed down with trunk == 2.2, it would be sensible to
save face by calling the 2.1.1 already 2.2.  But that is too late now...

I am not so firm in ASF rules.  Does the one who called the vote have
the right to withdraw the motion?  Or does somebody else want to call a
vote to undo this vote?

Cheers, Alfred.