cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Gabriele Columbro" <colum...@gmail.com>
Subject Ajaxifying the ImageMap widget
Date Fri, 24 Nov 2006 18:27:19 GMT
Hi devs!
I'm currently working togheter with Luca Morandini on a GIS project based on
Cocoon 2.1.9, of course using the ImageMap [1] widget that Luca contributed
nearly one year ago.
After having developed the whole application (based on Geoserver [2] as
WMS/WFS server and Weblogic 9.2 as appserver) in the plain old full page
refresh mode, we had a sudden requirement change that forced us to switch to
a more buzz-word driven ( Ajax ;-) ) approach.
All went smoothly (ajax=true is almost the only change I needed, making
bosses astonished, thx guys) until I had to make the imagemap widget value
change after am XHR (i.e. update the src of the input type="image" that
represents the map and tells geoserver how to draw the map). I discovered,
in fact, that the ImageMap widget was never calling the

org/apache/cocoon/forms/formmodel/Form.java#addWidgetUpdate(
org.apache.cocoon.forms.formmodel.Widget)

method, that then triggers the Browser update process.
Once I patched this (of course planning to contribute it, but waiting for a
completely working version) all actions performed on other widgets *but the
map* were correctly reflected on a partial update on the map (in case its
server side state was modified), but I'm now facing a different problem
handling clicks *on* the map:  whereas a full page submit on an input
type="image" sends two parameters ( /widgetId.x/ and /widgetId.y/ , i.e. the
coordinates of the mouse click) that are used to recompute map extent, the
XHR is just not sending this parameters (verified with tcpmon), so that map
status does not get modified, and map not redrawn.
I'm stuck as I don't know where to take action, wheter if it's a dojo
framework lack (I'm using the jar that is contained in cocoon 2.1.9, should
I try with the latest trunk?), or it's a problem of the dojo-cocoon js
bridge.
It would be great if someone can point me to the right direction, also
because I think that this can be a good (and contributable) improvement for
the imagemap widget to support AJAX, in a web world where ajax maps are now
the standard.

WDYT?

Thanks in advance,
Gabriele