cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From hepabolu <hepab...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [graphics] Masthead artwork for cocoon.apache.org
Date Thu, 30 Nov 2006 22:42:05 GMT
Mark Lundquist said the following on 30/11/06 12:48:
> Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>     I have just hired a Graphics Designer here at CodeDragons, and we don't
>     think we will manage to fill his pipeline with commercial work from the
>     start. I have previously promised that he will be available some of

I'm sorry I missed this announcement completely.

>     the time
>     for work at Cocoon. He knows html and css a little bit, but it is
>     not his

I'll take on this part of the "job".

>     main skill. He makes graphics. Icons, logos, photo assemblies and so
>     forth.

>     His name is Thien Luh Tay, and will shortly start subscribing to
>     this list,

I'm not sure if you read this already, but anyway: welcome Thien.

> OK, well, I have in mind a Cocoon task for a graphics designer!
>
> There've been discussions here before about how the main Cocoon site
> needs a face-lift... compare cocoon.apache.org with maven.apache.org or
> springframework.org, the latter two sites have a clean, light look, and
> they feel "modern". The Cocoon site looks heavy, kinda thick and blocky
> and "old-school".

+1 (Thien: this means I agree)

> I'd like to see some choices for a new treatment of the masthead/banner
> region along the top of the page. Just that. Not looking for a full page
> design here, just a different look across the top. The real site
> revision would incorporate some other things as well, like different
> visual styling for the nav sidebar, but for now let's just concentrate
> on the masthead.

This sounds like a good idea, although I do think that the
masthead/banner has a large part in the definition of the "look and
feel" of the site. In other words the final choice for the banner is
also a global decision for the look and feel of the rest of the page.
Still, small steps can take us where we want to go.

> Here are the branding "rules" I would propose...
>
> 1) Elements that must be retained from the current design:
>
> (a) the Apache feather logo (though preferably reduced in size from how
> it appears on the site today)

+1

> (b) the Cocoon logo. The cocoon logo may appear in either of two forms:
> (i) as unadorned, stylized text, as in the current masthead on
> cocoon.apache.org, or (ii) as text within its traditional "frame" of a
> bordered, oblong field with rounded ends as seen on
> cocoon.apache.org/2.1 under the heading "Apache Cocoon". I think the
> Cocoon logo is cool and conveys a strong identity, we should keep it.

I agree that we need a Cocoon logo, although I'm not "set" on this one.
I personally don't think this logo is cool, but I won't start a fight
over it.

> 2) Elements that /need not/ be retained (may, but need not be):
> (a) the text "the Apache Cocoon Project"

Depends on the logo. I agree that the name "Cocoon" should not appear
twice in the masthead.

> (b) the text "http://cocoon.apache.org"

+1

> (c) any of the current color scheme. I'd like to see a range of concept
> samples using variety of color palettes. In particular, the colors used
> by the Cocoon logo can be varied. I think I would still like the logo
> text to be either black or white depending on the background color, but
> the background color can be anything that looks appealing with the rest
> of the artwork and color palette.

+1

I prefer "sophisticated" colors to screaming yellow and orange and the like.

>  From there on out, it's wide open! I would love to see a half-dozen or
> so different ideas, and then we can see which ones people think are the
> coolest :-).

+1

Thien: if you take on this assignment (and I do hope so), please start
asking any question you'd like to be answered. Do note that you have a
lot of "listeners" and a few people responding, which doesn't mean that
the others don't care.

All: I know it is quite early for this, but in order to review the
galleries of samples that Thien will be delivering ;-) we need a space
to put them. I don't mind to help out in getting them uploaded, but it
would be nice if it's not a "public" place such as the wiki or Daisy on
the zone, to avoid endless discussions (which we will probably have
anyway) with a huge group of people.

> content that matters..." and I agree — however, improving the content
> vs. styling require different skill sets and don't really compete for
> resources, so I say let's work on both at the same time, 'cause visual
> impressions matter, too :-)

True.

Bye, Helma