cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: Trying to start Cocoon 2.2
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2006 21:09:57 GMT
Luca Morandini skrev:
> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
> Dropped (again) the local maven repository, dropped the cocoon-2.2
> checkout, did a fresh checkout... and Cocoon eventually worked.

OK, considering that you had dropped the maven repository before, there
must have been some faulty file in the your previous checkout.

> But I suppose is not meant to be this way...

Most definitively not. At the moment the released milestone versions are
  a little bit old. But the idea is that most users should not need to
check out anything at all. It should be enough to run a Maven archetype
(http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/dev-docs/1159_1_1.html) command and
modify the resulting project by adding the needed blocks to the pom.
Then everything needed will be downloaded automatically during build.

And for a developer it would be enough to check out the blocks that one
want to work on, and the rest could be automatically downloaded by Maven.

Most of the time Maven actually is very convenient to use, especially
since they upgraded to a powerful enough server for the repository. The
main problem is that when anything goes wrong, one have to learn much
more about how Maven and the repository works than one might want to :/

/Daniel