cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Patrick Refondini <patrick.refond...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: getting started with 2.2
Date Wed, 22 Nov 2006 12:39:08 GMT
Alexander Klimetschek wrote:
> Daniel Fagerstrom schrieb:
>> For development you should either start by creating your webapp with
>> the Cocoon webapp Maven archetype
>> http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/cdocs/g2/g1/g1/1159.html. Or by
>> copying cocoon-webapp. Then you add dependencies to the blocks that
>> you want to use to the pom.
>
> Is it still somehow possible to run a cocoon block, eg. just a COB-INF
> with only a sitemap, without any webapp configuration (web.xml, etc.)?
>
> Previously the deployer did all that for you. Apparently this nice
> feature is gone. Is the only chance to do so to use the webapp Maven
> archteype? AFAIK that one is intended for creating new blocks, it does
> not help much if you are migrating blocks. And what about quickly
> testing a block that does and should not contain a webapp config -
> because it will be deployed in a webapp enabled block sometimes!?
>
> Alex

Hi Developers,

Reading at your thread I dare a Cocoon 2.2 trunk user feedback:

In terms of development management, building a webapp from Maven2
oriented Cocoon blocks appears to me as a striking advantage over all I
have been doing in the past, with and without Cocoon.

In a Cocoon block created with block archetype:
mvn package jetty6:run

When ready make it available for webapp development  (locally):
mvn install
This is simple, effective, flexible, reusable ... and I am overlooking
most of inter-blocks communication ...

As of today building from trunk and using cocoon-22-archetype-block
version 1.0.0-M4-SNAPSHOT leads to missing
org.apache.cocoon.maven.deployer.servlet.ShieldingListener exception and
removing cocoon-deployer-plugin doesn't let me execute "jetty6:run"
successfully anymore.

If this is an intended move I think it is a loss in development
simplicity, although I might overlook another way to reach that same goal.

Patrick