cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Changes to the deployer plugin wrt shielded classloading
Date Mon, 20 Nov 2006 10:44:13 GMT
Alexander Klimetschek wrote:
> I have added a patch for adding shielded classloading for single blocks
> (http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON-1955). This allows you to
> shield certain blocks from other blocks inside your Cocoon application,
> which is necessary when there are conflicting versions of Java libs that
> cannot be resolved without patching external code.
>
> For that I modified the BootstrapClassLoaderManager slightly (and stuff
> from the blocks-fw). The configuration for a shielded block also uses
> the ShieldingServlet. Does this conflict with the upcoming move of the
> shielding stuff into the maven-war-plugin?

Sorry, I did not see your patch before I did the changes :(
Indeed, your patch does not work anymore as most of the stuff, like
the ShieldingServerlt or the BootstrapClassLoaderManager are not part of
Cocoon anymore.

In fact your touching the nerv of one of the key features of the real
blocks concept: shielded class loading between blocks. This is something
which we hoped to get with OSGi...we have a simpler solution right now,
which is the per sitemap class loader. Of course the per sitemap class
loader is only used for per sitemap components/beans which might not be
what you're looking for.

Perhaps we should discuss in a new thread what is needed and what we can
do about it?

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler - Chief Architect