cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: Solution found [Re: Performance with blocks protocol]
Date Wed, 08 Nov 2006 18:37:24 GMT
Alexander Klimetschek skrev:
> Alexander Klimetschek schrieb:
>>> Looking in the RequestProcessor that is called by the standard
>>> SitemapServlet, it calls ProcessingUtil.cleanup(), while leaving the
>>> processing of a request. I don't call that in the corresponding code
>>> in the o.a.c.sitemap.SitemapServlet, that might be a problem.
>>
>> I have copied that, because I tried to figure out what is different
>> between the sitemap.SitemapServlet and the RequestProcessor, but it
>> did not change anything with the memory leak.
>
> My fault, didn't built the core module after changing that. It is indeed
> the missing ProcessingUtil.cleanup() method.

Great!

> You probably did not put it
> into the sitemap.SitemapServlet because it cleans everything, including
> the current request data, so when called in a block that is called by
> another block, upon return no further processing is possible because you
> get NPEs when accessing the original HttpRequest...

That was a kind interpretation :) I didn't understand the importance of
the ProcessingUtil.cleanup() and probably just forgot to call it.

AFAICS the ProcessingUtil.cleanup() is only used for handling poolable
beans in the end of the request.

> So I put that call into the DispatcherServlet, right at the end of the
> service() method and it seems to work. We will now do some testing with
> the blocks-fw-samples and then commit it.

We should merge the servlet.SitemapServlet and the
sitemap.SitemapServlet and then this solution doesn't work. But right
now the important thing is to get rid of the memory leak so we can solve
it like that for the moment.

In the long term the handling poolable components probably need some
oversight. IIRC there have been discussions on the list that most of the
sitemap components should be created by a factory instead of being
poolable (see [Generator|Transformer|Serializer]Factory).

Also Spring doesn't have the concept of returning a component to the
container as Avalon has (ServiceManager.release(Object o)). So it is not
possible to implement true poolables. Instead the poolables are
destroyed in the end of the request. Which makes them closer to request
scoped components in Spring.

One possibility would be to put the ProcessingUtil.cleanup() in a
servlet request listners destroy method.

/Daniel